Howard Berman for Congress
Next Tuesday, June 5, is California's congressional primary election, and advocates of animal protection need to know who is standing up for their interests. The Humane Society Legislative Fund is the non-partisan political arm of the humane movement, and we want you to know that Howard Berman is a friend of animal protection.
We're encouraging animal advocates to support Howard Berman in Tuesday's primary election for California's newly re-drawn 30th Congressional District.
Berman has been a leading champion for animal protection in Congress, and has helped enact a number of new federal policies to stop animal cruelty and abuse. Among his efforts, Berman has:
- Consistently scored 100 or 100+ on the Humane Scorecard.
- Co-sponsored the Egg Products Inspection Act Amendments of 2012, and provided leadership in reaching out to other members and urging their support and co-sponsorship of the bill to ban barren battery cages nationwide for 280 million egg-laying hens.
- Co-sponsored the Animal Crush Video Prohibition Act, which passed in 2010 and bans commerce in videos showing the intentional torture of puppies, kittens and other live animals for the sexual titillation of viewers. (P.L. 111-294)
- Co-sponsored the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act, H.R. 2492, to establish misdemeanor penalties for knowingly attending an organized dogfight or cockfight, and felony penalties for taking a minor to such a fight.
- Co-sponsored the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, H.R. 2966, to prohibit the long-distance transport (including export) of horses for slaughter for human consumption in other countries where horse meat is eaten.
- Co-sponsored the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act, H.R. 835, to crack down on abusive puppy mills in the United States, where breeding dogs are often stacked in wire cages for years to produce litter after litter, without exercise, veterinary care, socialization or human companionship.
- Co-sponsored the Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act, H.R. 1513, to phase out the use of chimpanzees in invasive research, retire the approximately 500 federally-owned chimpanzees to sanctuary, and save tens of millions of tax dollars from warehousing chimps in federally-funded laboratories.
- When he previously served in the California State Legislature, he championed legislation to crack down on puppy mills.
Click here for a link to view this message online that you can share with your friends and family, and please urge them to vote for Howard Berman in Tuesday's primary election.
Thanks for all you do for animals.
Humane Society Legislative Fund
P.S. Please note that, due to redistricting, California's 30th Congressional District is a new one. We've made every effort to send this message only to residents of the new district. Please accept our apology if this message has reached you in error.
|Paid for by Humane Society Legislative Fund and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. HSLF, 2100 L Street NW, Suite 310, Washington, D.C., 20037
Share on Facebook